OT: Multiple Java SDK installs

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Mar 4 17:06:33 UTC 2005

Irving, Dave wrote:
> I've installed java 1.4.2 from sun on Fedora 3 with no problems at all.
> Im now additionally trying to install a 1.4.1 SDK version. When I run
> the rpm, I get an error that "a newer version of this package is already
> installed". Does this mean I cant install multiple java SDKs on my
> system? Is there an easy way round this?

To install an older version of a package that is already installed,
without removing the current version:

# rpm --install --oldpackage blah.rpm

This will sometimes fail due to both packages wanting to install a file
with the same name (rpm will tell you). You can't safely install both
packages in that case.

To replace the current package with the older version:

# rpm --upgrade --oldpackage blah.rpm

P.S. Please don't post HTML to this mailing list.

Paul.