setting up a mirror site

James Kosin jkosin at beta.intcomgrp.com
Fri Mar 4 22:34:53 UTC 2005

sakshale at equoria.net wrote:

| Hi there;
|
| I am considering setting up a Fedora and Fedora-Legacy mirror.
|
| However, I haven't found any information on software, file space
| and bandwidth requirements.  Obviously, I would prefer to install
| and checkout any software before registering as a mirror, but all I
| have found on both sites is requests to e-mail them, with an IP
| number, so they can set things up.
|
| =============================================================
| http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html
|
| "We reserve bandwidth for public-access mirrors. If you would like
| to providepublic access to a mirror of the Fedora FTP site, please
| send email to <ftp at redhat.com> including the hostname and IP
| address of the mirror, and an email contact for mirror
| administration. Thank you!"
|
| http://fedoralegacy.org/download/mirror-form.php
|
| Support for apt and yum?          apt yum Protocols supported?
| rsync http ftp OS Versions Supported?          RHL 7.2 RHL 7.3 RHL
| 8.0 RHL 9 FC 1
| =============================================================
|
| Not having set up a apt, yum or rsync mirror in the past, I would
| like to make sure I have all the pieces in place before I
| "register".
|
| Sakshale
|

| ----------------------------------------------------------------
| This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.

Hi.
Most of their setup involves publishing your mirror information in
their list of mirrors, setup to restrict rsync to accept connections
from your ip, probably email some basic instructions to your Admin and
start the ball rolling for everyone to use your site as a mirror.
I've found most mirrors have a heavy load when new versions of Fedora
come out.  Mostly because of the large demand.

I'd be careful to start out with emailing some of the admins of the
other mirrors to request information such as bandwidth usage, etc.
Before jumping into a full mirror and finding out it is more than your
system and bandwidth can handle.

Good Luck,
James