moz 1.7.3 won't export bookmarks

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Sat Mar 5 04:04:44 UTC 2005

charles f. zeitler wrote:

>any suggestions on
>what might be causing
>this behavior, or a
>workaround?

Interesting discovery, Charles.  I had not tried bookmark export until
your message.  You apparently found a Mozilla bug.

Here is a methodology I used to find a workaround.

First I tried, Red hat icon --> Search Files --> search for
"bookmarks.html" beginning with /  (root directory).  I chose
"bookmarks.html" as the file to search for as that was the name of the
file that should have been created in my /home/username directory.  Two
files named "bookmarks.html" that are mozilla distribution defaults were
found in /usr/ subdirectories, but nothing else.

So, I went to a terminal command line and entered
  ls -al   (that is -a followed by lower case L) at the prompt $

Output of the command is a listing of all files and directories in your
user directory, including hidden files and directories that are not
listing in the nautilus window launched by double clicking on the
"User's home" folder on the desktop.  One of the hidden folders was
named .mozilla.  I changed to the .mozilla directory as in

$ cd /home/<username>/.mozilla

and repeated the first terminal command line.

$ ls -al

and repeated the above steps, tracing the .mozilla subdirectory branchs
until I found a file named "bookmarks.html."

Point your mozilla browser at
file:///home/dcurry/.mozilla/default/rsrpegy6.slt/bookmarks.html and you
will see your mozilla bookmark file in the full glory of html which you
can then save by a different file name in either html or text.