Starting httpd by another user

Michael Fleming mfleming at enlartenment.com
Sat Mar 5 10:17:59 UTC 2005

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 13:01:35 -0500. Daniel Chénard <Daniel Chénard
<dchenard at infoteck.qc.ca>> waffled thusly:

> Can I start or reload apache by another user?
>
> If yes, how can i do that??

I'm not sure what you're asking - do you want to run Apache as another user
or just restart the service?

If you want to restart the service as a non-root user, you need to "su - -
c / sbin/service apache restart" or setup "sudo" (if you don't want to be
seen giving out root passwords here and there)

If you want to run as different user (why?) then you need to change the
User and Group directives in httpd.conf and chown the webserver content
files to match that user.

> I think than Selinux will help me but i dont know how.

I don't think SELinux will help in this regard (in fact the latter option
I've put forward cannot work with SELinux unless you recompile the policy).

> Just to give me a way will help me
>
> thank you

Michael

--
Michael Fleming <mfleming at enlartenment.com>
"Bother" said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh!"