Is Linux really faster than MS Windows ?

Brian Craft javaman67 at acd.net
Sat Mar 5 11:26:30 UTC 2005

Parameshwara Bhat wrote:

> On my home computer and office computer, I have logged the time taken
> upto  logging in, it turns out that Ms windows(XP) is faster than Linux.
> On both  computers, dma is turned on.On my home computer, I have SUSE,
> Fedora and  Knoppix (debian) installed and on office computer, only
> Fedora. I have  measured with all the distros and while knoppix is
> faster of the distros,  still it doesn't measure upto Windows in speed.
> Both fedora and SUSE take  about one and a times longer time, evrything
> else remaining same.
>
> Any comments ? Or am I missing something ?
>
> Parameshwara Bhat.

Personally, I wouldn't be looking at bootup times, as much as to which
OS will stay up longer without a reboot, or being able to apply updates,
new programs, security patches, without having to reboot.  In the Linux
world, the bootup time is such a small slice of the pie since it's not
done as often, because it's not needed as often.

--

Brian Craft

Jabber id: javaman67 at jabber.org
Linux Counter id: 97873