Is Linux really faster than MS Windows ?

M. Fioretti mfioretti at mclink.it
Sat Mar 5 11:52:56 UTC 2005

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 06:26:30 AM -0500, Brian Craft
(javaman67 at acd.net) wrote:

> In the Linux world, the bootup time is such a small slice of the pie
> since it's not done as often, because it's not needed as often.

This is not true. More exactly, it is only true in the Linux _server_
/ _workstation_ world. A home or SOHO office desktop is only powered
up, on average, 2 or respectively 8 hours a day.

I know several companies where turning off the box when you go home is
an official policy, and most adults I know use the home pc only a few
hours in the weekend, because they already surfed the Net during lunch
break to get movie schedules and such.

In these cases keeping the box 24h/7 on is dumb. Why should I (generic
home user, no guru, who wants the PC do things for him, not the
contrary) not turn it off as soon as I've finished? Why should I
consume 6 times more electricity, or expose 6 times more my data and
the rest of the Net to attacks to/from my PC coming from the fact that
I'm not paid to be a security professional?

Saying that "in the linux world, bootup still is such a small slice of
the pie" is a sure way to keep linux confined in the server/hackers
for hacking pleasure niche. Whether one cares is another thing, of
course.

Ciao,
	Marco F.

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 3 for low memory      http://www.rule-project.org/

The worst thing one can do is not to try, to be aware of what one
wants and not give in to it, to spend years in silent hurt wondering
if something could have materialized -- and never knowing.  --
				     David Viscott