Is Linux really faster than MS Windows ?

Rahul Sundaram rahulsundaram at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 12:19:16 UTC 2005

Hi

 I have
> measured with all the distros and while knoppix is faster of the distros,
> still it doesn't measure upto Windows in speed. Both fedora and SUSE take
> about one and a times longer time, evrything else remaining same.
>
> Any comments ? Or am I missing something ?

fedora bootup is not as fast it could be. this is a known issue.
please see bootchart.sf.net for a program which was specifically
designed to find what was taking up time during bootup. a few bugs
were fixed due to the discussion that followed in the fedora devel
list.

developers now have been looking at bringing up the GUI login screen
earlier in the bootup sequence to improve the *perceived* speed

--
Regards,
Rahul Sundaram