Is Linux really faster than MS Windows ?

Hannes Mayer h.mayer at inode.at
Sat Mar 5 13:31:56 UTC 2005

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 13:15:51 +0000, Jim Avery <averyjim at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 11:41 +0530, Parameshwara Bhat wrote:
>>
>>>Any comments ? Or am I missing something ?

At least on my machine, the w2k desktop was faster than it is with fedora2 and GNOME.
I thought the problem was the "bluecurve" theme, so I switched to the "simple" theme
and it was feeling much more responsive.
But then I installed Debian sarge on a spare disk and the desktop is faster than
Fedora (both GNOME).
So the problem is either X.org itself (Debian sarge still uses XFree86), or some
modifications of X.org by redhat or maybe something completely different.
I don't know...

Best regards,
Hannes.