Is Linux really faster than MS Windows ?

M. Fioretti mfioretti at mclink.it
Sat Mar 5 13:38:30 UTC 2005

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 07:32:18 AM -0500, Brian Craft wrote:

> Well, I for one, run 3 linux machines at home on a network with a
> router NAT firewall (DSL connection) and leave all 3 on 24/7 365
> days a year. I'm not worried about electricity

Yes, this general attitude is one of the reasons why some nations
(including mine) waste so much, and their energy supply is the problem
it is.

> And for as exposing my data, well it sounds like you need a lesson
> in securing your internet connection.

Maybe. And maybe you need a lesson about how people not obsessed by
computers by computers' sake live.

* I USE current free software. Only Linux at home.
* I HAVE a firewall turned on. I run no public servers,hence no open
  ports
* I HAVE all not necessary servers turned OFF
* I UPDATE as soon as possible whenever there is a bug and its patch
  found.
* AND I ALSO turn the pc off whenever I'm not going to use it for more
  than 5/6 hours. Because of energy, and because of security, see
  below. Because you can't get more secure than that.

* I DO recommend to all home PC users I know to do ALL of the above,
  without, or before, even bothering to ask which OS they run.

I don't live for my PC, and don't like the idea that if I don't stop
reading or playing with kids or anything else every few hours I might
get trouble because I didn't spend an afternoon to be the first
worldwide to install a patch. Say I run postfix, and a security hole
is found now.

     I might not notice until tomorrow evening or later, if I go out
	     for the weekend.
     Even if I knew now, I'm not going to waste a saturday afternoon
	     messing with code for a home system. Even if I knew how.
     It may take some days before a new FC3 rpm is available.
     So I turn the PC off until I will be back at the keyboard.

Most home users for which boot time is unbearable behave similarly,
whether we like it or not, even if not for the exact reasons
above. Hence I stand by what I said:

> >Saying that "in the linux world, bootup still is such a small slice of
> >the pie" is a sure way to keep linux confined in the server/hackers
> >for hacking pleasure niche. Whether one cares is another thing, of
> >course.

Ciao,
	Marco F.

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 3 for low memory      http://www.rule-project.org/

Your education begins where what is called your education is over.