Sound-Recorder problems

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Sat Mar 5 19:10:16 UTC 2005

Bob Goodwin wrote:

> Jack wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 10:57:59 -0500
>> Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin at att.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Is there some common problem of which I am not aware?  Any thoughts
>>> or suggestions appreciated.
>>>
>> Hi,
>> what error messages do you get when starting gnome sound-recorder?
>> Try starting it manually from a terminal and watch the messages it
>> will print out.
>>
>>     ------------------------------
>
> # /usr/bin/gnome-sound-recorder
> Segmentation fault
>
> I'm not sure how to troubleshoot that?
>
> Bob G

Gnome-sound-recorder does not work on my system either, Bob.  Unlike
your situation, though, starting gnome-sound-recorder from a command
line launches the application with no error messages.  The gui interface
appears and will display messages indicating it is recording but the
slide progress indicator does not move and there is no sound on playback.

I have a FC2 system with mobo sound chips linux detects as
VT8233/A8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller and use the ALSA snd-via82xx
driver.  Gnome volume control displays slider controls in two tabs - one
for Via [alsa mixer] and one for Realtek ALC650E [OSS mixer]  Numerous
slider and mute settings have been explored without success.

I invite others to share their sound recorder experience(s).