Is Linux really faster than MS Windows ?

M. Fioretti mfioretti at mclink.it
Sat Mar 5 19:48:08 UTC 2005

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 13:18:10 PM -0600, Mike Klinke
(lsomike at futzin.com) wrote:
> On Saturday 05 March 2005 11:27, M. Fioretti wrote:
>
> > it keeps thousands of non-geeks users wasting electricity and
> > leaving holes open because a longer uptime seems cool to have.
>
> While this may certainly be an issue in your neck of the woods the
> electric costs for a large percentage of the PC using public are
> far less than

While this may certainly be true in your (ours) little neck of the
western, industrialized woods, is much more relevant in the rest of
the world, that is the great majority of people. Why are so many FLOSS
users, all so keen about community, mutual support, etc.. be so sadly
snob and narrow-minded?

> The money saved by turning it off at night might pay for a couple of
> trips to McDonald's for burgers during the year.

Exactly my point. Compare the cost of those trips to the average
monthly salaries of most countries. Granted, in those places,
electricity _may_ also cost much less, in proportion, than where we
live, but it might not be just as readily available or stable.

Ciao,
	Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 3 for low memory      http://www.rule-project.org/

"The SUN TROPIC beauty farm reopens today: featuring exotic swimming
 pools, and, under the palm trees, **UVA lamps**"
(unluckily for humankind, a REAL ad that I read in a real magazine)