(Kind of OT) BT and Linksys Router (WRT45G 2.2)

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Mar 5 20:57:46 UTC 2005

I rarely use BT - but a few days ago, mom asked Dad to record survivor
so she could entertain guests, I called while dad was on route to do
that, and it didn't happen, she was upset - so I BT'd it and burned a
DVD and mailed it to her, so she can see it before next weeks.

Anyway - BT'ing the show caused my Linksys WRT54G to crash several
times.
I could see the speed of the BT slowing down, then it would die and
connection error - and I could not ping router until I rebooted the
router. It never does this when I'm not using BT.

Googling showed this seems to be a common issue, especially with PPPoE
connections. Solutions oftered were mostly stupid, stuff like "disable
your firewall on your PC" etc.

Since the FC4 Test 1 is due to be released soon, and that's a much
larger BT than a Survivor AVI - I'm hoping someone here has experienced
this and knows how to solve it.

The only solution I found online that looks like it might do the trick
(IE suggested by someone who seems to know what he's talking about) is
to install the HyperWRT firmware, to get a command prompt on the router
- and then issue

echo 8192 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_max

Has anyone tried this?

With the number of times I had to reboot the router while downloading
the ~350 MB avi file, it would probably be better for me to ftp the dvd
iso rather than trying to BT it - but I prefer to BT large files (and
then leave BT running for awhile for others)

Thanks

--
Michael A. Peters
http://mpeters.us/