Is Linux really faster than MS Windows ?

Graham Campbell gc1111 at optonline.net
Sat Mar 5 22:14:34 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 13:35 -0800, Brian Mury wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-05-03 at 13:00 -0800, Michael wrote:
> > You really don't want to shutdown your computer that often anyway.
> > Startup and shutdown are stressful on your hardware. The more you do it
> > the higher your chance of something dying.
>
> As a colleague once said: "The only time my computer fails to turn on is
> after I've turned it off". :-)
>
> > An example being that most
> > computer's fans don't keep going after the computer is shutdown. During
> > the time from when you shutdown, until the computer has naturally
> > cooled, the insides of your computer are exposed to increased high
> > tempertures.
>
> Not really. As soon as the computer is turned off, the heat sources all
> disappear, so the temperature has nowhere to go but down.

Not really. This is a dynamic situation with the heat being actively
removed and temps non-uniform. You change the heat flow patterns and the
temps will spike in some places.

I am an old-timer and remember the big old mainframes, especially the
CDC 6600 and CDC 7600. These were cooled with circulating refrigerant.
An undisciplined power outage definitely caused problems due to spiking
temps. CDC did a study that showed a dramatic increase in failures about
7 days (as I recall) after a power failure.

--
Graham Campbell <gc1111 at optonline.net>