Sound-Recorder problems

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Sun Mar 6 02:05:23 UTC 2005

Bob Goodwin wrote:

> David Curry wrote:

>>> I do believe the problem is not with gnome-sound-recorder, it is with
>>> alsa. Try to record from the command line with arecord and you get same
>>> problem: a recorded file with no sound. If you turn your speaker volume
>>> to max when you aplay the file you get white noise.
>>>

>> Your note made me aware of arecord and then I discovered aplay
>> through using man arecord.
>>
>> I also get an output file with nothing in it other than white noise.
>> I suspect, though, that whether we use command line arecord or
>> gnome-sound-recorder to attempt recording sound we are using the same
>> underlying application.  That is, I suspect that gnome-sound-recorder
>> is simply a gui frontend for arecord.  That may not be the case, but
>> I suspect it.
>>
> "I suspect that gnome-sound-recorder is simply a gui frontend for
> arecord"
>
> And it appears that the same is true for alsa and apparently the
> problem is that "arecord" does not work in FC-2.
>
> See:
> http://linux-sound.org/quick-toots/3-arecord_and_rtmix/quick-toot-arecord_and_rtmix-1.html
>

> Bob Goodwin

As it turns out, gnomepsoundprecorder is apparently a gui frontend for a
program named grecorder.  At least that is what the properties dialong
entries say if one right-clicks on the Sound Recorder menu item in Red
Hat -->  Sound & Video --> menu.

At the moment, I am looking into alsactl which saves amixer/alsamixer
settings in /etc/asound.state.  One can get a readout of all controls
and their settings by entering,  alsactl  contents on a command line in
directory /usr/bin/.