Sound-Recorder problems

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Sun Mar 6 04:48:32 UTC 2005

Bob Goodwin wrote:

> And it appears that the same is true for alsa and apparently the
> problem is that "arecord" does not work in FC-2.
>
> See:
> http://linux-sound.org/quick-toots/3-arecord_and_rtmix/quick-toot-arecord_and_rtmix-1.html
>

> Bob Goodwin

Thanks for the URL, Bob.  I tried the technique suggested at the page.
Adapting the suggested aplay command to my own directory layout, I tried
out the arecord and aplay command statements laid out there after
checking the version numbers of arecord, aplay, amixer, and alsamixer on
my system.  They are all version 1.0.3

The first time I tried the command,  $ arecord -f dat -d 20 -D hw:0,0
test.wav
a file recorded without incident.  On play back with,   $ aplay -f dat
test.wav
I heard a series of noises as exception messages printed on the screen
reading, "underrun!!! (at least nn microsecs)"  [at least I think it
read microsecs]

After tinkering with alsamixer settings a bit and running arecord again,
the program output included the message,
arecord: pcm_read:1164: read error: input/output error
Running aplay again with test.wav as the input file yielded nothing but
another command line prompt.

It does indeed look like the alsa arecord component distributed with FC2
does not work with 2.6.10 kernels.  (I have tried recording sound on at
least three kernels 2.6.10-1.12 through 2.6.10-1.770_FC2)
Since Jeffrey Burns reports that he is able to record on his FC3 system,