Simple Routing using FC2/3

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 6 13:04:33 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 20:35 -0800, Justin Zygmont wrote:
> Do you have the external interface set as default gateway device?  You're
> also going to need NAT if you plan to route through it.
>

> On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Todd Wohlwend wrote:
>
> > This should be a simple task.  I need to use a FC2/3 as a router.  (I have
> > done this in RH7.2 with no problems)  Here is my senerio :
> >
> > Fedora C3 (soon to be router - I hope)
> > External Interface 172.16.176.152 / 20
> > Internal Interface 192.168.213.152 / 24
> > No GW on internal
> > net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1 set in sysctl.conf file (rebooted of-course)
> >
> > Internal PC
> > IP = 192.168.213.253 / 24
> > GW = 192.168.213.254
> >
> > I can ping the 192.168.213.254 and 172.16.176.152 from the internal PC, but
> > not any device in the 172.17.176 network.
> >
> > This is a full install of FC3.  iptables is default.  I have even disabled
> > iptables to test. Still no luck.........I need a simple solution.  I do not
> > want to disable iptables and install another product.....like firestarter or
> > enable (masquerading) NAT.
> >
> > There must be a simple solution?
> >
> > Todd Wohlwend
> > Computer Information Systems Instructor
> > Southeast Technical Institute
> > Todd_Wohlwend at hotmail.com or Todd.Wohlwend at southeasttech.com

Todd,

You did not say what routing protocols you intend to use.  Typically the
IP addresses you specified are typically not routable.  They are
designated for private IP spaces.  If computers on your LAN with the
172.16.x.x and the 192.168.x.x addresses need access to the internet you
will need NAT.  Take a look at the iptables rules for masquerading.

If per chance the addresses were examples and you have real addresses
assigned then zebra is the route demon that replaced routed and gated
(IIRC).

Bob...