Is Linux really faster than MS Windows ?

M. Fioretti mfioretti at mclink.it
Sun Mar 6 19:51:31 UTC 2005

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 23:13:03 PM -0500, Patrick Riggins
(list_patrick at complete-office-installations.com) wrote:

> M. Fioretti wrote:
>
> >Exactly my point. Compare the cost of those trips to the average
> >monthly salaries of most countries. Granted, in those places,
> >electricity _may_ also cost much less, in proportion, than where we
> >live, but it might not be just as readily available or stable.
> >
> So your argument is that leaving your computer on is okay in a
> industrialized nation but it would be better to turn it off if your
> electricity quantity and/or quality is not reliable, correct?

No, not exactly, sorry if it came out that way. My argument is that,
regardless of its OS, any computer not used as a server (say home or
office desktop, that is any box used interactively, and from its own
keyboard) should be turned off as often as possible, because:

it's simply the best security measure available (both for its owner
     and for other netizens who might be hit by malware running there)
     Of course, it must be *added* to all the usual things (firewall,
     no open ports, etc..) but not ignored

it's a pure and simple waste of money: granted, it may be much so in
some countries, almost negligible in others (even if, if we are
talking of some hundred USD per year I wouldn't consider smart who
says it is "negligible", wherever he lives): but it's a waste
nevertheless, because it comes for almost nothing in return.

in some countries with the lowest income there is also the problem
that energy supply is not stable nor clean when there are storms, so
turning the PC off when unused may sensibly extend its (expectancy of)
life.

That's why (to remember why this rambling is in topic) I think it
would be really a smart move to make Linux boot as fast as possible.
Because most Linux computers today are going to be used by normal
users, not as 24/7 servers. Or at least this it what should happen.

Ciao,
      Marco

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 3 for low memory      http://www.rule-project.org/

We need to focus on how to be productive, not just active.
        Scott McNealy, chairman, CEO, and cofounders, Sun Microsystems.