FC3 sendmail help?

William John Murray w.murray at rl.ac.uk
Sun Mar 6 22:24:46 UTC 2005

  Hello there,
         Can anyone help with a sendmail query?
I run a tiny home network on a DHCP ADSL link. I want to send system
mail to an external email server. I cannot just sendmail - it is
rejected as probably spam, so I need to user their ssl-protected
authenticated smtp relay.
  Can anyone help configuring sendmail for this? All my googling yields
results which assume the ssl is for my sendmail service, not its
authentication. I can send email via evolution/thunderbird fine, so
it is frustrating not to be able to send root email automatically.

My best attempt (which probably has no ssl enabled) yields errors like:

Mar  6 22:11:34 base sendmail[13523]: j26KMbkD012891:
to=<w.murray at rl.ac.uk>, ctladdr=<root at MY-HOME-DOMAIN> (0/0),
delay=01:48:53, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=802987,
relay=XXXXXX.rl.ac.uk., dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Name server:
XXXXXX.rl.ac.uk.: host name lookup failure