Converting Lotus 123 files

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sun Mar 6 22:50:26 UTC 2005

Charles E Taylor IV wrote:

>On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 18:44:22 +0100
>"J.L. Coenders" <fedora at universalgrid.nl> wrote:
>
>[Lotus 123 files]
>

>>A friend asked me if I could find out how to open these files.
>>Openoffice  doesnt seem to do the job.
>>

>That's news to me.  I routinely open the .wk1 files generated by Lotus 123
>(on my HP 200LX palmtop) in Open Office.  Just use File/Open like you
>would for a regular Open Office spreadsheet.
>
>Admittedly, the spreadsheets I make on my HP aren't obscenely complex, but
>I;ve had no real trouble opening them.  What sort of problems are you
>having?

OpenOffice (OO) calc does seem to have a converter for Lotus 1-2-3
files, but I have not needed to use it myself. OO opens Excel
spreadsheets just fine, with the exception that it cannot open those of
my wife's spreadhseets which have more than 33,000 or so rows (the
actual number is 32,767 or so.) She has numerous Excel documents with
more than 60,000 rows. And complains that Excel can't do as many rows as
she wants, too.

Bob Cochran