Make that "Everything" I've asked for...

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Mar 7 00:04:26 UTC 2005

On 03/06/2005 02:57:50 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:

> But 'everything' includes things that aren't in any other set.
>
> > There already are some predefined sets, such as desktop and
> workstation
> > - but Anaconda is written in Python, and the PyPsychic module that
> > detects what the user really wants automagically isn't quite
> finished
> > yet.
>
> The original posted stated clearly what he wanted, and I'll second
> the
> request.  I want one selection to give me all the programs because I
> don't know without trying them whether I want them or not and I can't
> try them if they aren't installed.

You can select them in the package selection process - choose desktop
or workstation or whatever and then choose to select individual
packages within that subset.

That has worked at least since RH 6.x and probably earlier.
That's what I do - lets me deselect Helix and select Totem, deselect
OO.o and Evolution and select AbiWord, Gnumeric, Balsa, etc. Let's me
add postfix. Let's me add Apache.

The selections gets you close, but there is no way for Anaconda to know
what you do or don't want from each group.

You can always install packages later - in fact, I highly recommend you
copy all the rpm's from the install media onto your HD anyway and set
it up as a file based repo, so that if you yum install something from
Extras that depends upon something you didn't install, you don't have
to fetch the base package from the web - it's there.

What would be nifty is if Anaconda could (optionally) do that for you -
optionally only copying the rpm's you didn't install, so that it would
use less space.

--
Michael A. Peters
http://mpeters.us/