boot hangs after enabling swap space message

koscieln no-reply-gw at fcp.homelinux.org
Mon Mar 7 00:35:32 UTC 2005

I installed x86_64 FC3 on an AMD64 with a GigaByte GA-K8NS motherboard.  Installation was uneventful but after the CD was ejected and the box rebooted, it hung after the Enabling swap space message.  Thinking that an old swap partition might be causing the problem, I booted rescue from the CD and removed the suspect swap partition from /etc/fstab. No change.

It would boot in single user mode. /var/log/messages showed that boot was stopping at smartd startup.  I ran chkconfig smartd off and chkconfig sendmail off and could then boot to multiuser mode.

During installation, I mistakenly configured an onboard NIC that wasn't connected to the LAN. The box has two drives and the 40 GB Seagate drive was giving DriveReady SeekComplete Error's. smartd was finding the problem and trying to email root. Once I corrected the network problem, I could boot with smartd and sendmail enabled. I'm guessing that the hang was due to sendmail trying to do a DNS lookup without the network.

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org
http://fcp.homelinux.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=46154&topic_id=11676&forum=4#forumpost46154