gno,e-settings-daemon failure

Richard E Miles r.godzilla at comcast.net
Mon Mar 7 00:41:28 UTC 2005

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 16:22:32 -0800 (PST)
Mauricio Villegas <mvillegas at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I updated a few packages using the up2date program.
> Everything seemed ok except that after logout and
> trying to login again I get a error message saying
> that
> gnome-settings-daemon has found a problem, after that
> the system freezes no matter what I do. I also noticed
> that I can login using KDE without problem but some
> applications such as evolution stopped working. Any
> ideas/experience with this type of problem?
>
>   My intuition is that there was some incompatibiity
> installing some of the packages (gnome). I am thinking
> that I could uninstall gnome and re-install it (do not
> know how yet!!!) but your ideas or experiences are
> welcome.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Mauricio
>
> --

Sometimes the gnome environment gets messed up somehow. I find that if I
remove the gnome files in your home directory that gnome will reset itself. You
will lose any customizations that you might have made but at least gnome will
right itself. The directories to delete are .gnome, .gnome2 and .gnome2_private.
You can append a 3 to the grub kernel line to boot into a console. Then erase
those directories and type startx to start up with X windows and the gnome
environment.
--
Richard E Miles
Federal Way WA. USA