Leave it on or turn it off (Was: Is Linux really faster)

Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Mon Mar 7 00:59:22 UTC 2005

Let me put in a vote for things as they are, and a vote against fretting
about user perceptions of startup time.  When the system boots, it tells
you what it is doing.  The user can see what is happening and can
understand what's running on the system.  It's easy to be patient when
the system announces what it is doing.  When booting is done, the system
is ready for operation, and not until then.  No one likes a long boot,
but on Linux, you know why it happens and you see progress.

On any number of Windows systems that I have had to use, the GUI appears
"quickly".  But it's false speed, because the system is not ready for
operations when Windows will accept logins.  You can open the Web
browser, or start your email client, but doing so will only result in
errors when you try to do real work.  The machine will not be ready for
work for 2-3 minutes after it allows you to login, because
networking/anti-virus code/firewalls etc aren't yet running.  This
eliminates the benefit of an artificially fast "startup time".

Erik