DVD burning - mkisofs max size allowed

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Mar 7 09:15:41 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 09:30 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
> Toralf Lund wrote:
>
> > Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:

> >> No. mkisofs is the program used to create the image, while cdrecord
> >> or growisofs is the one used to burn that image.
> >

> > Urgh. Minor slip, there."The program used to create the filesystem", I
> > meant to say... But my point remains: The problem appears to be
> > internal mkisofs limitations, and not ISO filesystem constraints or
> > anything.
>
> Or rather: It may well by an ISO filesystem constraint, but on the size
> of one file rather than the total filesystem size. Actually, ISO9660 is
> quite likely to have 4Gb max file size...
>
> - Toralf

What does ISO9660 and 4gb file size have to do with each other.
Iso9660 is a filesystem type.  The iso image will be a file on the
standard linux filesystem, and its maximum file size is not related to
iso9660 standards in amy way.

I have not tried mkisofs for some time so it may well have a limitation
on filesize it can create, but that would be related to the application
and not to the iso9660 limitations.  I burn data DVDs regularly from
image with more than 4gb of data and never a problem.

Ummmm... come to think of it I do use mkisofs ....  I use mondorescue
for my backups... that uses mkisofs to create the images for the DVDs