X doesn't start when booting in run level 5

Ankush Grover ankush174 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 09:21:12 UTC 2005

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 06:25:13 +0000, Richard Hubbell
<richard.hubbell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 23:58:11 -0600, Christopher J. Bottaro
> <cjbottaro at alumni.cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > When my computer boots to run level 5, it hangs on starting X.  The screen
> > just freezes up with red and green vertical lines and the computer stops
> > responding to input.
> >
> > The weird thing is that if I boot to run level 3 and manually type startx,
> > then X starts up just fine.

> > Any ideas or suggestions?

If your startx does not startup automatically means when you try to
init default is 5(X) then it should show some errors .Please see in
those errors( tail -f /var/log/messages)
, dmesg and xfree86 logs.The xconfiguration file /etc/X11/xorg.conf .

Try to google with that error or post it over here.

If there are no errors ,restart your xfs server(font server)

service xfs start
ldconfig -v

Regards

Ankush