Samba and Firewall

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 7 13:55:33 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 08:41 -0500, Bob Chiodini wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 20:06 +0800, Shu Hung (Koala) wrote:
> > How to turn on logging of iptables?
> >
> > Koala
> >
> > Bob Chiodini wrote:

> > >Try turning on logging in iptables, if it's not already.
> > >Check /var/log/messages to see what is being dropped, related to your
> > >client.
> > >
> > >Bob...
> > >

> > --
> > Technical Support, DigitalOne Limited
> > Tel: 8100-2616 / 2545-1383
> > Fax: 2815-0593
> >

> > --
> >

> It depends on how you set up your firewall.  man iptables and search for
> LOG.  You have to add a LOG rule before your REJECT or DROP rules.
>
> Bob...

Sorry about the reply-to-self.

Another option:  Open up your firewall and run ethereal to determine
what ports and protocols are hitting your server.  Use "host <your IP>"
as the capture filter to cut down on spurious traffic.

I tried this here and did not see anything other than TCP port 139 and
UDP port 137.

Bob...