Converting Lotus 123 files

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 7 15:22:35 UTC 2005

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 07:21:17 +0100
"J.L. Coenders" <fedora at universalgrid.nl> wrote:

> > Admittedly, the spreadsheets I make on my HP aren't obscenely complex,
> > but I;ve had no real trouble opening them.  What sort of problems are
> > you having?

> I just doesnt recognise the file as a Lotus file. It tries to open it as
> a  ASCII file even if I rename the files to .123, .wk1 or .wks

Unless the files have been corrupted, you might file a bug report on
openoffice.org's bugzilla.  OOo's supposed to be able to open Lotus
worksheets (and does, at least for my sheets).

Another alternative might be to try the same files in Gnumeric, which is
also supposed to support Lotus worksheets.

But if the files don't end as .wk1 or .wks already, are they actually
spreadsheet files?  The version of Lotus 123 that I have uses the
.wk1 ending by default.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!