X doesn't start when booting in run level 5

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Mar 7 15:53:57 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 01:25, Richard Hubbell wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 23:58:11 -0600, Christopher J. Bottaro
> <cjbottaro at alumni.cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > When my computer boots to run level 5, it hangs on starting X.  The screen
> > just freezes up with red and green vertical lines and the computer stops
> > responding to input.
> >
> > The weird thing is that if I boot to run level 3 and manually type startx,
> > then X starts up just fine.
> >
> > Any ideas or suggestions?
>
> Could it be a tear in the fabric of space? If not then maybe startx and the line
> you have in /etc/inittab for level 5 are running different software.  Usually
> run level  5 runs prefdm so that's where I'd start.
>
> Richard

Are you using NVIDIA drivers?  If so you may need to copy the
/dev/nvidia* to /etc/udev/devices directory.  There is a known problem
during startup.  What I think happens is that udev does not start or
complete its thing prior to the NVIDIA drivers being needed.  If you
manually startup X and copy those files to the udev directory then they
will be available during startup.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

I don't mind what Congress does, as long as they don't do it in the
streets and frighten the horses.
		-- Victor Hugo