How to determine directory size ?

Gustavo Seabra gustavo.seabra at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 16:20:29 UTC 2005

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:10:14 -0500, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin at att.net> wrote:
> I have several ways to display directory and file listings but none
> total the directory size. I would like to know the size before
> attempting to copy to a CD for back up. xcdroast tells me after I've
> entered all the data but by that time I may have too much or less than
> optimum.
>
> How can I get the size in advance?
>
> Bob Goodwin    Zuni, Virginia

The command you need is ' du ' (for disk usage, I believe). ' man du '
for more details. If you just want the size of the current directory
(including subdirectories)

$ du -sh

Gustavo Seabra                 Graduate Student
Chemistry Dept.         Kansas State University
Registered Linux user number 381680