LAN to WAN on FC3

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Mar 7 17:19:46 UTC 2005

Claude Jones wrote:
> I'm having a problem understanding exactly what DNS servers should
> be listed in domain-servers-option - do I list the servers
> associated with my ISP? Or do I list the wan nic's IP address,
> which has DNS servers associated with its configuration?

You list the DNS servers you want your DHCP clients to use to resolve
hostnames. If you're running your own DNS server, even if only a caching
server, I'd use that. Otherwise, your ISP's nameservers.

> On forwarding and NAT, isn't masquerading only for situations
> where your own IP is dynamically assigned each time you connect?

No, masquerading is for where the addresses on your LAN are not to be
"seen" by the Internet. This would typically be when you are using RFC
1918 private addresses for your LAN (e.g. 192.168.x.x). Whether your
(external) Internet address is static or dynamic doesn't matter.

Paul.