Make that "Everything" I've asked for...

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Mar 7 17:50:33 UTC 2005

> On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 02:55, Jeff Vian wrote:
> > >
> > > OK, so it is possible to get what most people would want by making
> > > thousands of individual selections involving programs they
> > > don't know anything about yet...  How many people who picked
> > > English at that first dialog really need cannaserver running
> > > all the time?
> > >

> > The same logic applies to selecting *everything*.  How many people
> > really want a LOT of stuff they don't know and that takes up a lot of
> > drive space?
>
> Why would the people assembling the distribution include programs
> that no one would want, and how can a user decide what he wants
> before seeing them?   Language support is something they already
> know what they want so it's not the same logic at all.
>
> > And, BTW, it is not thousands by any means.
>
> 'Everything' says it installs things not available in the
> other bundles.  How do you get them if not wading through
> the RPMS?

If you decide you want all languages, select them earlier when you
select the default language (there is an option there).  Everything at
package selection time selects both all languages and all packages.

However, I do agree that it would be more useful for most people to have
2 points to select everything.  First all languages (for those rare
cases where one actually wants support for all languages), then all
program packages (which should install only those languages already
chosen).