Wanted: a "Save energy, be more secure" howto

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 7 20:58:06 UTC 2005

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 11:33:18 -0600
Gustavo Seabra <gustavo.seabra at gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to add a question here. There's been a long time since i last
> used windows. But I do remember an option, I think it was called
> "hibernate", that would save the current state of the computer and
> then power it down. The next time I needed to use it, I just had to
> hit the power button and it would quickly "wake up" to where it was
> before. That seems an option halfway between turn off and always on.
> Is there anything similar for Linux?

Suspend-to-disk.  It's disabled by default for some reason in Fedora
kernels, but Linux supports it.

You can, depending on your BIOS and age of your machine, use BIOS features
to do the same thing without resorting to kernel patches/recompiles.  I
use my Thinkpad X22's BIOS-provided suspend-to-disk function for this.

On laptops, this sort of functionality is essential.  A full boot
from scratch costs lots of battery power.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!