x86_64 install

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Mar 7 21:04:59 UTC 2005

Robert L Cochran wrote:
> Jonathan Berry wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 07:54:47 -0800, Jay Scherrer <jay at scherrer.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I tried installing Fedora core 3 version x86_64 on a new
>>> Laptop: Asus Z8100
>>> with a mobile AMD 64 memory is 1 gig.
>>>
>>> The install went ok but after logging in the system it seemed very
>>> slow. I hadn't yumed it yet untill I try the install for FC3 x386
>>> The install of FC3 x386 went smooth and everything runs faster.
>>> When I config cpan it detects my system as a dual proccesor.
>>> Now I am thinking of yum updating FC3 x386 then ugrade to FC3 x86_64
>>> because during the initial install there were several files that
>>> remained compiled for the x386.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else tried FC3 x86_64 or is this the wrong list?
>>>
>>> Jay Scherrer
>>>

>> Hi Jay,
>> I have installed FC3 x86_64 and so have several other people here.
>> There is a dedicated AMD64 list which has a lot less traffic:
>> but you are welcome to ask questions here though that pertain to Fedora.
>> I don't think you can upgrade from the x86 version to the x86_64
>> version.  I could be wrong, but I don't see the point.  Did you
>> overwrite your initial x86_64 install?  If not, you should definitely
>> update.  How are you determining fast/slow?  I don't understand cpan
>> detecting a dual processor setup, because I very much doubt you have
>> two CPUs in your laptop.  The x86_64 version has compatability
>> libraries for running 32-bit programs on the 64-bit platform if that
>> is what you are talking about with the last sentence of your first
>> paragraph.
>> Have I answered any of your questions?  I wasn't able to get a good
>> grasp of what you were trying to find out.
>>
>> Jonathan
>>

> I agree with Jonathan. I have the x86_64 version running on my Athlon 64
> 3500+ machine. You should install the x86_64 version on your laptop as a
> fresh install, and not as an upgrade. Then update to the very latest
> packages using either Yum or up2date.

I do believe you must do a fresh install to go to x86_64.  You've
already established a 32-bit environment, so any updates would be
32-bit.

A warning, however.  Many browser plugins (Flash, to name one) are not
available on x86_64.  I recommend you install the 32-bit
Firefox/Thunderbird/Mozilla so you can get the plugins.
-               The Theory of Rapitivity: E=MC Hammer                -
-                                  -- Glenn Marcus (via TopFive.com) -