firefox 1.0.1 and java (fixed)

Gerhard Magnus magnus at agora.rdrop.com
Tue Mar 8 01:52:07 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 05:08 +0000, Richard Hubbell wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 17:00:39 -0800, Gerhard Magnus
> <magnus at agora.rdrop.com> wrote:
> > Once I installed the new firefox 1.0.1 I lost the java runtime
> > environment I had finally been able to get working with firefox 1.0.

> This isn't a fedora question but a firefox question.
> But there are so many lists.  I have subscribed to more than I know.
> It seems nowadays one has to subscribe to a separate list for every package
> available.   ...I digress...

First, thanks for helping me fix this.  Similar problems must come up
frequently in this gray area between open-source linux and software
that's merely free to download.  Here we have a common application (the
java runtime environment) that apparently installs and functions
transparently-to-the-user with web browsers running under Windows.  But
to get it working with the default browser for Fedora (firefox) requires
this song & dance involving information that's practically buried on the
Sun/Java and Mozilla/Firefox websites.  Even going through this
installation a second time (after the latest firefox upgrade) I was
getting nowhere without help.

What is the relationship between Fedora/linux and Sun/java and why does
it seem to be so unfriendly?

Why does installing this plugin have to be done with symbolic links in
the first place?

> Did you do this?
>
> cd /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.1/plugins/
> ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so  .
>
> To make sure you created the link properly try this:
> ls -Ll  /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.1/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
>  ls -Ll  /usr/java/jre1.5.0/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
> (they better be the same size (^: )
> Make sure java is enabled under preferences|options.
> then /usr/bin/firefox
> try it out
>
> http://www.cmpharm.ucsf.edu/cgi-bin/webmol.pl

I'm not sure why what I was doing kept creating a bad link but I'll play
around with it (yes, using some file other than libjavaplugin.oji!)
until this is more clear.