X doesn't start when booting in run level 5

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Mar 8 02:17:11 UTC 2005

Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When my computer boots to run level 5, it hangs on starting X.  The screen
> just freezes up with red and green vertical lines and the computer stops
> responding to input.
>
> The weird thing is that if I boot to run level 3 and manually type startx,
> then X starts up just fine.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions?
>
> Thanks for the help.

There are many possibilities. I believe my computer does the same thing
with runlevel 5. I like runlevel 3 better anyway.

Possibility 1:
rhgb could need upgrading. Are you running the latest version for fc3?
The released version was buggy, but a working copy could not be included
on the cds released. The developer announced the program ws fixed and
explained the reason for the buggy released version.

Possiility 2:
You might need to add an option to your /etc/xorg.conf file to disable
accelleration. The option is "Noaccel". This would be needed for the
radeon as some have described. The option is also needed for other buggy
drivers in xorg-x11.

Possibility 3:
You got the same videocard that I have. If so, does ctl-alt-Fn to a
terminal and then changing back to the GUI with alt-F7 cause your
machine to lockup with the garbage you described in your post?
If so, hold the power button in for several seconds to ugracefully turn
off your computer.

Possibility 4:
What was described earlier about runlevel 5 and runlevel 3 differences
might apply. It might be the differences in the way X initializes for
the runlevels.

--
Q: Why is Microsoft's Product Support a failure?
A: Because Microsoft needs a Support Group instead.