Is Linux really faster than MS Windows ?

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Tue Mar 8 01:56:32 UTC 2005

mark at mark.mielke.cc wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 11:42:09PM -0800, Skunk Worx wrote:
>
>>windows is really kind of a poor solution in general if it is so easy to
>>hide keyloggers, etc. (as a casual google shows).
>

>>also not sure why i should have to "dig" for any swap settings, or why
>>they would be wrong in the first place.
>>if you people have some bone to pick with linux, or are pro-windows,
>>take it off list...it's not a fedora support issue.
>

> It's a fedora support issue if people believe statement such as the
> first one I quote from you - "Windows is really kind of a poor ...".
>
> You think it is hard to hide a key logger under Linux?
>
> If anything, it may even be *easier*... :-)
>
> It's not about a bone to pick. It's about balance. If people can say that
> Linux provides security, or is faster, or whatever, other people should be
> able to rebut.
>
> What you should have wrote is - if people want to argue philosophies or
> opinion-based performance benchmarks, they should take it off list. This is
> a support forum, not a "I like Linux best!" forum...
>
> Alas, the mailing list is not actually name a support forum. It is "for
> users of Fedora Core". For users of Fedora Core, one consideration may be
> performance which leads us to...
>
> Cheers,
> mark

I disagree with all of your comments.

There is no "balance" on the issue of a windows vs. linux debate
existing on this list. A couple quick comments and it should be over. My
experience shows that NTFS/HPFS appears to have a serious issues as the
drive fills, a problem Linux does not appear to have. Take it for what
it's worth.

By the way, hijackthis, Adaware, spybot S&D, MS antispyware, symantec AV
(all up-to-date) come up clean on the XP box.

Keylogger detection and installation : Selinux, rpm and third party
tools (such as tripwire) prevent or are fairly trivial to setup/use to
detect altered binaries or non-default installed binaries.

Take it one step further and you have the live cd (Adios, Knoppix) which
makes the software logger installation nearly impossible, when deployed
properly (non-writable DVD).

Taking my comment out of context, as you did...well, I'm not going to
say what I think of you for doing that.

If the list degrades over time into something it originally was not, so
be it. I'm not a party to it, and I'll argue one time, each time I see a
post like yours in one of my threads.

Have a day,
s.w.