Multihomed proxy serving 2 wireless networks

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Mar 8 11:06:42 UTC 2005

Kevin Plew wrote:
> The FC2 box is not acting as a router. I don't want all packets to go
> through eth0 due to the load on the wireless router. The reason I want to
> route through the 2 interfaces is to reduce the total load on each router.

Right, I see. So the FC2 server is just a file/print/DNS/DHCP etc. server?

So clients of 192.168.1.0/24 should be using 192.168.1.1 as their
router/gateway and clients of 192.168.100.0/24 should be using
192.168.100.1 as their router/gateway. Since both of your wireless
routers have interfaces on the 10.x.x.x network, they should be able to
reach 10.10.11.50 without any additional routes. The only additional
route entry you need is one via either eth0 or eth1 for the FC2 server
itself. They key would seem to be to set up the DHCP server to assign
the correct router to each network's clients.

Paul.