Grub with2 disks. How to install on the 2 disks?

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Tue Mar 8 16:46:43 UTC 2005

Jean Maupertuis wrote:
> I have 2 disks one IDE with Windows XP one SATA (not raid) with Fedora
> core3.
> Grub is installed  on the mbr of the IDE disk (windows XP).
> The problem is that i want to use grub to boot fedora  even if the IDE
> disk become unavailable.
> How to do that?  With a grub on the mbr of the  Sata drive  but with
> what in the grub.conf?
> With a diskette but one more times  with what in the grub.conf?
> Here my actual grub.conf
> default=0
> timeout=5
> splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> hiddenmenu
> title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
> root (hd1,0)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
> initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
> title Windows XP
> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
> chainloader +1
>
> Thanks in advance.

I'm not 100% sure, so this might make your system unbootable.  Check
info pages for Grub (type "info grub" on command line), and understand
what this commands will actually do.  You need somethine like this (two
install commands):

# grub

install --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 (hd1,0)/boot/grub/stage1 (hd0) \
         (hd1,0)/boot/grub/stage2 p (hd1,0)/boot/grub/grub.conf

install --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 (hd1,0)/boot/grub/stage1 (hd1) \
         (hd1,0)/boot/grub/stage2 p (hd1,0)/boot/grub/grub.conf

I'm not 100% sure if you can use "\" for line continuation.  My advice,
don't experiment, type each install line as single line (in which case,
you'd ommit "\" character).

The first install command would install Grub into MBR of first drive
(you can probably skip it, since you already have it).  Second line
would do the same thing for second disk.