fc3, sendmail, dovecot: cannot receive from outside

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Mar 9 01:11:04 UTC 2005

rado wrote:
> this is a bare fc3 install w/no upgrades yet. its it's own dns server
> and seems to work fine.
>
> the sendmail.mc config file...the loopback daemon option is commented
> out.

I hope you mean you changed the line in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc to read

	DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl

> I can send and receive a msg to myself using evolution and can send mail
> outside but cannot receive.
>
> y'all probably need more info but let's just start here.
>
> I don't think the msgs are getting thru to that system because this
> sendmail is setup on an FC2 machine and it's getting the replies of msgs
> that should have gone to that other server. So it looks like that fc3
> sys is refusing but I can't see in the logs where it's doing so. I have
> remaked  the "mc" file a couple times in /etc/mail. host and resolve
> look ok...just dunno

Do:
	# netstat -lpn | grep sendmail

If you see a line that contains "127.0.0.1:25", then you didn't stop
and restart sendmail after rebuilding /etc/mail/sendmail.cf from the .mc
file.  You have to do that.  sendmail only reads that when it starts.
Try "service sendmail restart" and repeat the netstat command.  It
should now have a line that contains "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:25" in it, where
the "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" is your machine's public IP address.
-              Where there's a will, I want to be in it.             -