fc3, sendmail, dovecot: cannot receive from outside

rado rado at rivers-bend.com
Tue Mar 8 19:30:13 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 00:57, replies-lists-redhat at listmail.innovate.net
wrote:
> your description of things is a little confusing, but if mail that you
> think should be showing up on your fc3 box is getting delivered to your
> fc2 box instead, it sounds like the dns entry for whatever address you
> are sending to (from outside) is still configured to point to the
> IPnumber of the fc2 box.
Yes, in a sense it is confusing...to explain, the fc3 box, toy or
whatever lol will just be a synced copy of the fc2 box when I'm done. I
don't really want to get into the syncing yet more questions to come on
that later. But, I only have one static public ip 209.205.179.141. The
fc2 box is 10.0.0.10...the fc3 box is fc3 is 10.0.0.12. At this point,
it's easier just to shut one box down while I work on the other. They
both have named pointing to their own respective box. when sendmail is
running in the fc3 box...the fc2 box is shutdown. it's the only server
running @rivers-bend.com. when I am in the fc3 box(10.0.0.12), and run
$host rado at rivers-bend.com , it says it's on 10.0.0.12 so it's for real
there. Another thing, selinux is disabled... and run nmap -sT rbmain2
(the fc3 box), just the minimal ports are open,
22,23,25,53,110...think..maybe 111 as well; that's bout it. looking at
the nmap for this machine(fc2) wow lots of ports open!

> > I don't think the msgs are getting thru to that system because this
> > sendmail is setup on an FC2 machine and it's getting the replies of
> > msgs that should have gone to that other server.
prove me wrong please but I think we can dismiss this theory

> if that's not the case, then you need to try to give a better
> explanation of your setup.
I sure hope that cleared some air here now

thx
john rose