Linux is so cool!

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Mar 9 02:17:19 UTC 2005

Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 10:40 -0500, Stephen Costigan wrote:
>
>>Linux is so AWESOME man! The only thing that bugs me is there's no
>>shutdown button. How can I reboot or turn off computer? Everytime I
>>install software, it never asks me to reboot. I'm an expert Windows
>>user and I was working as an IT Manager until recently, so I know alot
>>about computers. I just need to know how to turn this thing off!

To shut it down, you can do what I mention below, or, if you've got
a command line and you're root, you can enter one of these commands:

	shutdown -h now
	init 0

One of the interesting things you'll find under Linux is, "There's more
than one way to do it!"

> 1.  You don't need to reboot for software installs (except kernel
> updates).

Yup!

> 2.  shutdown is the same as with winblows.  With the default gnome
> panel, it is the actions --> logout  option from the panel.

Actually, "Red Hat Icon->Logout".  Then you can select "logout",
"shutdown" or "reboot system".

Neato, eh?
-  The problem with being poor is that it takes up all of your time  -