Latex environment for linux

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Wed Mar 9 03:19:33 UTC 2005

Leandro Melo wrote:

>On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 17:38:43 -0800 (PST), Antonio Olivares
><olivares14031 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>--- Leandro Melo <ltcmelo at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Hi.
>>>Could anyone tell me if there's a nice latex
>>>environment for linux?
>>>Or do I need to use default text editors and compile
>>>text manually?
>>>

>>Leandro,
>>I highly recommend that you get Kile.[Kde Integrated
>>Latex Environment].  It has many nice features that
>>will benefit you.  Go and download the rpm for Fedora
>>http://kile.sourceforge.net/.
>>

>Sorry, if this is too stupid (I'm a total beginner in linux). But I'm
>using GNome as my UI. Does it mean that I'd need to change to KDE (and
>then I'd need to download kde for fedora)??? Or there's some other way
>of using it with gnome?
>Thanks.

Depends on what you already have installed, Leandro.  For example, on
install of my FC2 system I elected to install both Gnome and KDE
desktops plus several KDE applications.  If you elected to install
"everything" or you selected gnome and kde when installing your system,
you already have the KDE desktop and a lot of supporting libraries.
You, like me, could elect at boot time to boot into a kde or a gnome
desktop,  You could also run KDE apps while running the gnome desktop,
but time required to load those apps might be a tad slower.