Firefox or Opera? Evolution or T-bird?

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 03:37:10 UTC 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 00:09:00 +0000, James Wilkinson
<james at westexe.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Paul F. Almquist wrote:
> > Also Opera and Mozilla can open tabs and load pages in the background with a
> > middle click on a link where Firefox opens them in the foreground.
>
> Firefox seems to be loading pages in the background on middle clicks for
> me.

Same here.  This was the default last time I checked.  Not only will
Firefox do this, it is configurable!

> I can't find a user interface other than about:config (enter that in the
[snip]

Try: Edit->Preferences: Advanced: "Select new tabs opened from links."
 On Windows, Preferences is under Tools.

I like Firefox, though I haven't really used Opera.  Last I saw Opera,
it had adds in it.  Looks like maybe that is gone now, though.  But
Firefox is open-source (Is Opera?  Doesn't look to be.) and is
available for 64-bit (though I'm using 32-bit because of lack of
64-bit plugins).
I use Evolution because, well, probably because it was the default,
and with FC2 when I started using Fedora, Thunderbird wasn't
available.  I do use T-bird at work on my SuSE box.  I like the way
T-bird will collapse the To: and CC: headers if there are a lot of
recipients.  Evolution displays all of them, which means I have to
scroll down to actually see the message.  You'd think, with Evo being
(at least seemingly) based on the Outlook interface, this is a feature
it would have.  Both work just fine as simple mail clients.  Calendar
and Tasks in Evo are nice, though I haven't really used them much.

Jonathan