Termcap/Terminfo & Ncurses

armen ayvazian at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 03:36:32 UTC 2005

I've recently installed redhat fedora core 3 on a dell poweredge server
and I'm running into an unusual issue with what seems to be either
termcap or ncurses or both. When I connect using PuTTY (claiming a
terminal type of XTERM) on a windows-based system, ncurses applications
behave more-or-less normally. When I run these applications inside
screen, the vertical and horizonal line super-ascii characters appear
as A's with an umlaut over them.
The real issue occurs when I connect from a FreeBSD system (claiming
term type xterm-color.) When I run ncurses applications outside of
screen, formatting is horribly broken, with columns displayed out of
order, a constant stream of backslashes displayed across the input
line, and with everything I type being escaped.
When I run the apps in screen (when connecting from FreeBSD) the
formatting is off, but in a different way, and the input line is
highlighted incorrectly.
I've tried replacing termcap and terminfo entries from a working system
and I've tried setting different term types before I connect, but
nothing seems to help.
I've also noticed that if I connect to the a working server from the
broken one (via ssh) the apps format and display properly.
All components, including termcap/terminfo and ncurses are stock
redhat-supplied installations and this problem exhibits itself in both
redhat supplied and custom compiled ncurses applications.
Any help, advice, or insight would be greatly appreciated as I cannot
seem to make any headway against this issue. I'd be more than happy to
provide copies of termcap, terminfo files, inputrc files, etc from the
working system (an older redhat variant for ppc) and the troublesome
system if requested.
armen