nvidia TNT 2 Model 64

spmirowski spmirowski at shaw.ca
Wed Mar 9 04:54:27 UTC 2005

> > In FC3, I noticed that I had to change my dev permission.
>> Try running glxgears from a terminal.  If you get the permissions
>> error, the answer will most likely be:
>>
>> chmod 0666 /dev/nvidia*
>> chown root /dev/nvidia*
>>
>> If not, need more info.
>>

>Which driver can it use, is it easy to install ?
>And is it reinstall every time if the kernel upgraded ?
>Because I am still using the X.org driver.

Go to Nvidia's site, and download their linux driver,
either your version of linux (32 or 64 bit).
When logged out of X run the installer with admin
permissions:

$sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run

Follow the instructions. It will compile a version of
the driver and install in your kernel (don't worry
about the taint error, their drivers are not open source).

edit your x config (/etc/X11/xorg.conf) and change
Driver "nv" to Driver "nvidia".

Startx, run glxgears in the terminal, if you get the
permissions problem, run the permission commands:

chmod 0666 /dev/nvidia*
chown root /dev/nvidia*

I noticed that, the Nvidia drivers need reinstalling
after every reboot on FC3, I don't know why.  Doesn't
bother me much since I don't reboot my desktop unless
I update the kernel (then you have to do the reinstall
anyways).

Stephen