Help with Kernel Panic

Michael J. Pawlowsky mikep at mi-consultants.com
Wed Mar 9 10:04:36 UTC 2005

This morning I started to get a kernel panic which has totally frozen my
machine.
It's been running smoothly for many months on FC3
It does have automatic yum updates turned on. So I'm not sure if
something significant changed last night.

It boots up fine, but after a couple of minutes it freezes.
The error I get is:

kernel panic - not syncing:
drivers/ide/pci/piix.c:390:spin-lock(drivers/ide/ide.c:c03712a8) already
locked by drivers/ide/ide-iops.c/1234

The machine is running software raid and it is trying to re-sync the /
partition with it's mirror.
Not sure if that is affecting it.

I'm trying now with ide=nodma passed to grub to see if that helps, but
anyone have any ideas on what might be happening?