SLOW portmapper startup (when using NIS)

Toralf Lund toralf at procaptura.com
Wed Mar 9 13:24:13 UTC 2005

A problem with all our Red Hat/Fedora setups:

Boot delays for a loooong time at this stage:

Starting portmapper:

I suspect this is related to the fact that we have

passwd:     nis files

in /etc/nsswitch.conf. I may seem like the portmapper tries very hard
for a long time to lookup info on some user in NIS, which won't work, of
course, since ypbind isn't started yet. And there is no way it could be
(I mean, if you wanted to cheat and change the sequence), since ypbind
actually requires the portmapper (as far as I know.)

We discovered this several versions ago, but I believe it's still there
in FC3.

Can anyone give me more details on what is happening here? What exactly
would the portmapper be looking for? And why does it take so long? Why
doesn't the NIS lookup (if that's what it is) just fail with no delay?
Any way around the problem?

- Toralf