More sendmail help? (Alexander Dalloz)

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Wed Mar 9 14:39:10 UTC 2005

Am Mi, den 09.03.2005 schrieb William John Murray um 8:58:

>       I am trying to use smtp.aol.com as relay at the moment...
> Here is the command OP: But I am lost as to what "address testing mode"
> is doing. Is this good?
>
> echo '/mx aol.com' | /usr/lib/sendmail -bt -d8.8
> ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
> Enter <ruleset> <address>
> > getmxrr(aol.com, droplocalhost=0)
> getmxrr(aol.com) returns 4 value(s):
>         mailin-01.mx.aol.com.
>         mailin-04.mx.aol.com.
>         mailin-02.mx.aol.com.
>         mailin-03.mx.aol.com.

It is fine and tells us that name resolution through Sendmail works
properly on your host.
Take the Paul's advice and place the ISP's smart host name into squared
brackets: [smtp.aol.com]. This prevents Sendmail from trying to find the
MX through DNS. You then should no longer get an error "stat=Deferred:
Name server: smtp.aol.com: host name lookup failure".
The "stat=Data format error" you get when authentication against the
ISP's smart host fails. You can probe authentication manually by running
the (E)SMTP manually using telnet to port 25. google.com holds several
examples on how to do that.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.770_FC2smp
Serendipity 15:34:08 up 19:19, 16 users, 0.17, 0.11, 0.08