FC3 Security

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Wed Mar 9 16:34:22 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 07:41:11AM -0800, Pat Pleate wrote:
> In defense to the IT support persons that "seem intent
> on preventing ...",  this is like walking into
> someone's house and saying that you want to add your
> own setup, use their electricity, phone line for a
> modem, etc. in their house without asking.

Except the house, the electricity etc.. all belong to the company, not
IT.  IT is supposed to service and enable the people in the house.

Yes, Like a janitor.  It is a "SERVICE" department.  That why IT
has to have someone on call 24x7.

Having worked both in and outside of IT, I understand the "ownership"
point of view but have found that in organization where that is the
prevailing IT attitude there is always an "US" vs "THEM" perception
which ends up hurting the company and productivity.

Of course this isn't helped by some end users who seem to deliberately
not try to learn how to use their equipment.   :)

> SHOULD do it.  Here's an example: I CAN drive through
> a stop sign, but SHOULD I really do that?  I CAN buy a

Except in this case, the local IT department has placed a stop sign
in the middle of a straight, empty stretch of four lane highway
with no intersection or any thing else around for twenty miles.

They are just spouting policy without good reason and demonstrating
either extreme ignorance (shhd = server) or duplicity.

They can only get away with this where their management is not technical
or their management is more interested in building an empire then
providing service.

--
Linux/Open Source:  Your infrastructure belongs to you, free, forever.
Idealism:  "Realism applied over a longer time period"