FC3 Security

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Wed Mar 9 17:00:35 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 08:55:35AM -0800, Pat Pleate wrote:
> The point is this:
> 1. Common courtesy needs to be used by everyone.
> 2. One should ask before leaping and assuming.

Rick was courteous and he did ask first.

> Additionally:
>
> --- Jeff Kinz <jkinz at kinz.org> wrote:
> > Except in this case, the local IT department has
> > placed a stop sign
> > in the middle of a straight, empty stretch of four
> > lane highway
> > with no intersection or any thing else around for
> > twenty miles.
>
> Much like I-94 is a tollway through Illinois but a

Sorry Pat - The stop sign was your example - You don't get to turn it
into a toll booth for the sake of convenience. Bzzzzzzt :-)

> > They are just spouting policy without good reason
> > and demonstrating
> > either extreme ignorance (shhd = server) or
> > duplicity.
>
> I'm sure the policies were setup accordingly due to
> similar situations arose in the past.  They have the
> right, and probably for good reasons.

Any IT dept that equates sshd to a server is either not up to snuff
technically (and in a really bad way.), or they are being duplicitous.
(Thats another word for lying)

> > They can only get away with this where their
> > management is not technical
> > or their management is more interested in building
> > an empire then
> > providing service.
>
> When a person doesn't want to take responsibility for
> their own actions and don't want to extend common
> courtesy, that's just as much to blame.  Everybody
> wants to blame someone else, instead of finding the
> facts, learning to follow the rules/protocols, and
> working together.  Instead, certain persons continue
> to be self-centered/important and feel that they can
> do whatever they want.

Yes the above is true but does not apply to the situation
Rick described.

--
http://www.fedoranews.org